Welcome To The World Of Orthodontics
Back in September when Bradyn had yet another tooth abscess, the dental assistant took some x-rays. As I looked at them, I turned my head one way and then the other, trying to make sense out of what I was seeing. In the end, Dr M pointed out that some of the adult teeth were coming in sideways, and suggested that Bradyn go for an orthodontic consult. 5 weeks later we met with Dr H and she recommended a removable spacer (or is it called a spreader?) to make room for the adult teeth. Bradyn will have to wear the spacer for 12-18 months. Did I mention this is Phase 1? Bradyn could still need braces after this. Oh - and she also recommended we do all of this before Christmas. Sure, why not? I'm not busy.
After a follow-up 'records' appointment with Dr H, the first major step was to have 2 baby pre-molars pulled. So, back to Dr M we went (on Kevin's birthday - Happy Birthday Daddy). Just like last year with her surgery, Bradyn was an absolute trooper and so, so brave.
Before
Getting the freezing put in. I loved that Dr M walked Bradyn through some breathing techniques (Daddy counted for her) to help reduce any anxiety over the needles (4 in total). I also loved that after about 25 minutes, she tried to tell Dr M that she didn't think her mouth was fully frozen. He cracked a smile, rolled his eyes and assured her she was frozen.
Not so brave Mommy holding Bradyn's hand for (her) support. In my defense, I was NOT nauseous at all and this photo makes it look like I was sick. I was simply keeping my head down to PREVENT any nausea. No way was I was looking at Dr M sticking needles into my baby's gums or tugging her teeth out. Don't worry, Dr M gave me a lecture afterwards about how me not looking could have scared Bradyn. I told him Bradyn knows Mommy's a Big Wuss and that we were all good.
After
Look at the roots on the tooth on the left! No wonder it took so much tugging. The right one came out with minimal effort.
Bradyn did complain about some aching on our drive home from West Vancouver but did not object to going to Red Robin to celebrate Daddy's birthday. She even had spaghetti, broccoli and a milkshake! Yep, that's one tough kid.
Our trip back to Dr H last week was to stick some 'goo' in Bradyn's mouth in order to get an impression of her teeth and to pick the colours for her spacer. Yesterday we went back for what we thought was an appointment to pick up the final product. Unfortunately, due to a misunderstanding, they made Bradyn's appliance in the wrong colour. Although she was trying very hard not to show it, the gigantic tears rolling down Bradyn's cheeks gave away how disappointed she was. Thankfully, Dr H offered to re-make the appliance and the ladies booked us an appointment for early this morning, squeezing us in between other patients. Having to wait one more day turned "The best day of my life" into "The worst day of my life". LOL
After all the waiting and the drama, here you have it.
Ta-da!!!! All blue and sparkly.
This is one VERY happy kid. Let's hope her enthusiasm about having it lasts once we start 'cranking' it and it starts spreading her teeth out (ouch!).
(And let's hope it's still in her mouth when she gets home from school today)








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home