Tuesday, September 02, 2014

First Day Of Grade 3.... Or Not

For those of you who haven't heard, BC teachers are on strike.  Rotating strike days started back in May and then on June 12, a full 2 weeks before the school year was supposed to end, that was it.  Friday June 13 was already a planned strike day but on that Thursday (after I had dropped Bradyn off at before-school care), it was announced that full strike action was starting on Monday June 16.  Bradyn came home with her desk contents in a black garbage bag and that was that.  Bye-bye Grade 2.  No time to give her teacher a gift (although Bradyn and Kevin did take it to her the following week on the picket line) and a mad scramble to figure out what to do with her for the next 2 weeks (thank God for the ladies at Westwood Montessori!!).

There was a glimmer of hope this past weekend when a mediator met with both sides to see if an agreement could be reached, but no such luck.  So today, while children in the rest of the country were heading back to class, proudly wearing their new sneakers and fancy duds, the elementary and secondary public school kids in BC were still sitting around in their PJs, watching cartoons, heading to specially created day camps, or maybe even heading to work with mom or dad.  I have no first day of Grade 3 photo to share with you yet (although I assure you there are some fancy duds, glow in the dark sneakers and a cool Adidas backpack on the shelf, just itching to be used), I do have these.

Our standard 'in front of the front yard gate' shot.  Not Bradyn, but a picture of the sign she made on Saturday when we explained it was unlikely she would get to go back to school today and see her French Immersion friends.


Kevin and I were very impressed with her creativity.  When Bradyn asked me to make photocopies so that she could tape them up around town, I admit I was a bit taken aback, but then really proud of the fact that she wanted to take action and have her voice heard.  Although we have not yet hung the posters, one copy will definitely be filed away in her school years memory book.


Check back in mid October - maybe we'll have a 'real' First Day of Grade 3 photo for you by then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home