Friday, February 26, 2010

The Vancouver 2010 Olympics

As all of you are well aware, we have this little event happening in our fair city right now called The Olympics. I admit that I was very late in hopping on the Olympic train, but I did. It suddenly dawned on me that this event didn't just mean extra headaches and stress for Kevin (the new west building at the convention centre where Kevin works is the Official Broadcast Centre), but it really was a once in a lifetime event. Even though I have my doubts Bradyn will remember this years from now, I wanted to make sure we made a big deal out of it.


On February 11th, we headed down to Mackin Park in Coquitlam to see the Olympic torch come through, and to participate in the festivities. Despite the rain, I admit I was pretty hyped up. After finding out my friend Aaron was actually a torch-bearer in Surrey on the Monday night prior, the whole thing suddenly took on more meaning for me.


"Go Canada Go"


Waiting (not so) patiently...

"Here it comes!" After all the build-up, this was the best shot I got. I got too caught up in the excitement that I forgot to take pictures.

At the park.

I took so many pictures of the flame because I was just so excited. This was nothing compared to the main event (see below), but at the time, I didn't know I'd actually see it.

I love this picture. Bradyn and Daddy, watching the entertainment.

I don't think I have ever been as frustrated with Bradyn as I was at this point. The once in a lifetime opportunity to hold the Olympic torch, and she wouldn't touch it, or look at the camera. (Luckily, the Daddy of one of her little classmates brought one to school last week, and there's a picture of her holding the torch - just waiting to get my hands on a copy.)

This torch-bearer was a little more possessive of his.....

... but very sweet. I asked if he would sneak up behind Bradyn so I could at least take a picture of her facing the camera near the torch.

Kevin won tickets at work for the medal ceremony at BC Place last Friday night. I had no idea what the event was or who was competing, but I said "Of course I want to go!" I have to admit that even just going through all the check points and security to park the car at Canada Place was exciting. (and Kevin does this every time he has to work) Seeing Gretzky light the cauldron on TV was one thing, but seeing it in person is a whole lot different. Did you know it costs $20,000 a day for the gas to keep this thing running? Unfortunately, the best shot of us together only got the end of the leg, but we know where this was taken.

The arms look like they're made of steel, don't they? Nope - they're clear.

After flying so many times, the metal detectors and search to get into the building were no big deal. But once inside, you realize this really is a big deal.

The Olympic medal winners for the Women's Half Pipe.


To my surprise, they then switched to scenes from Whistler so we could watch the two medal ceremonies taking place there.
The Men's Super G medalists...

... and the Ladies' 15 km Pursuit.

Even though Kevin had to work at 6 am, I convinced him to walk back to the car instead of taking the Skytrain, so we could take in the local scene on the streets. Wow. We walked right down the middle of Robson Street because it was closed down. I'd heard about it, but I was still surprised to see how many proud Canadians were out, wearing red, singing O Canada, and just having a really good time. I don't think I've ever seen Granville Street this busy, or this much fun.

The lantern trees in the middle of Granville Street.

OK - here's one of my pet peeves about the Olympics... Are there not 4 official 2010 Olympic mascots? Why is it that MukMuk is always left out? Is he not as cool as Sumi, Quatchi and Miga? Did he not pass the public opinion test?

What a party! I have never been so proud to be a Canadian, and to live on the beautiful West Coast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home