Sunday, July 30, 2017

Las Vegas, Baby!

On July 6, Kevin, Bradyn and I headed to Las Vegas for a family vacation.  I won't lie.  I was totally against the idea.  I don't gamble, rarely drink and while Vegas does has some very cool things to see, I really didn't care if I ever went back.  Oh yeah - and I don't think kids have any business being in Sin City.  Having said all that, I lost the vote 2-1 and the vacation was planned.  Did I mention it was UFC Fight Week and 2 of the 3 people in our family are die-hard UFC fans?  (sigh)

Despite my hesitations and low expectations, I have to admit we had a pretty amazing week.  (oh yes you heard that right - not the standard 4 days/3 nights Vegas getaway trip - we spent 8 days and 7 nights in Vegas!)

The photos here are a combination of ones taken by Bradyn, Kevin and me.  Just like our trip, a perfect combination of viewpoints.

Bradyn's view from the plane.


Airplane selfie.


Las Vegas airport friend.


Strip view from our Tropicana hotel room.


Thursday afternoon adventures - dropped the bags in our room and off we went exploring.



On our very first night, Kevin and Bradyn headed off to the UFC Hall of Fame ceremony at Park Theatre in the Monte Carlo hotel.  I politely declined because I had my own secret plans....


Tell me this isn't the face of a super-excited fan.


For two months I kept a big secret from Kevin and Bradyn.  Veronika, my trainer, was also going to be in Las Vegas for the first 4 days of our trip.  We had planned to go out together Friday night to see the dueling pianos in New York, New York, but that got bumped up to Thursday.  As it turned out, it worked perfectly.  I walked towards the Park Theatre with Bradyn and Kevin then said I was going to meet up with an old university room mate who also happened to be in Vegas.  Oh, my, God.  We had SOOOO much fun.  Veronika was in town with her friends Donna and Leon and the four of us ROCKED that bar. 


The old room mate story wasn't a lie.  Dave and I shared a house in 4th year university with two other people.  We haven't seen each other in 17 years but as Dave kept saying as we caught up over drinks, "comfortable shoes".  It was like I'd just seen him the week before.  I didn't realize how much I had missed him.


Best.  Night.  Ever.  Bradyn was absolutely horrified when she and Kevin stopped by New York, New York to say hi.  We were all very happily drunk (something Bradyn has only witnessed of mommy a few times in her life) and having way too much fun.


Early Friday morning, Kevin and Brady headed out to a Meet and Greet UFC event.  Thankfully, I got to stay in bed and catch up on some missed sleep.  (and thankfully, I wasn't dealing with a hangover although I had no business not to be)

The highlight of the day was meeting Bradyn's hero, Joanna Jedrzejczyk.  She took the time to talk to Bradyn about her jiu jitsu training and Bradyn's American National tournament debut the next day.




This picture makes my heart melt.


Bradyn asked this handsome fighter (Stephen 'Wonder Boy' Thompson) if he had a girlfriend.


I had a night to myself while Kevin and Bradyn attended the main event at T-Mobile arena on Friday night - the Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale. 





No, this little girl isn't out of her mind happy...much.


I came and met Bradyn at T-Mobile before the end of the show because she was tired and wanted to get rested for her big day on Saturday.


(drumroll.......)  On Saturday July 8th, Bradyn competed in the American National IBJJF Jiu-Jitsu Championships.  She officially competed in Las Vegas during UFC Fight Week!  A week before the tournament, Bradyn was the only competitor signed up for the Yellow Belt/Junior 3/Female/Feather weight division and she had a choice.  Bradyn could show up for her match, weigh in and be awarded a gold medal without ever fighting a match, or, she could move up a weight division where there were 4 other girls and actually compete.  The decision was Bradyn's to make.

There is absolutely no way to describe how proud Kevin and I were when Bradyn decided that we wanted to put in the work and actually compete in the tournament.  We had 2 private training sessions on the July long weekend with her trainer Anastasia and Bradyn was ready to face her competition.  I think my favourite quote from the trip was "after I kick some ass on Saturday, then my real vacation begins".  This tournament was the real deal.  The matches were posted online during the week before the tournament and there were official weigh-ins and everything.


Saturday morning, our fighter was PUMPED!  She was very confident and ready to kick some butt!


Sporting the fight braids.


Like I said, this tournament was legit.  It was so big, and loud.  The officials were wearing suits....


and the fighters had to enter the 'bullpen' area before competing.


Bradyn's fight face.  Mentally preparing while waiting for her division to come up on the boards so she could check in.  Later in the day, Bradyn confessed that she was freaking out at this point but she sure didn't show it.


I love this picture.  A special Daddy-Daughter moment while they waited.


Finally, the official weigh-in.


Bradyn's first, and only, match.  Unfortunately, Bradyn was defeated in her first match.  It was heartbreaking to watch because both Kevin and I truly think Bradyn could have won.  Bradyn even told us later that she should have been able to beat her opponent.  I think the 'bigness' of the tournament psyched Bradyn out and she lost her focus.  I knew Bradyn was upset when I met her at the top of the competitor area ramp with open arms to congratulate her on a match well-fought and she walked right past me without saying a word.


I trailed behind as Bradyn walked past me and right out the door of the arena.  She wasn't just upset - she was devastated. 


After we got back to our hotel room with her new favourite Starbucks sandwich and a much awaited Vanilla Bean Frappucino, Bradyn moved past being upset and kicked into 'official vacation mode'.


First up on the official vacation agenda was chilling in the pool.


Kevin drowned his sorrows in a gigantic beer at dinner Saturday night.


After dinner we said good-bye and while Kevin and Bradyn went off to watch UFC 213, I went out for another awesome (and much later) night with Veronika and gang.


When you don't win at jiu-jitsu, why not try Cirque De Soleil?


Sunday was our day to explore the strip.  The ENTIRE strip.  According to my Fitbit, we clocked 21.8 km that day.  First stop was the M&M store. 


Bugaboo finally made it to Paris.


She loved all of the Greek statues in Caesars Palace - including Aphrodite Goddess of Love.


We made our way all the way down the strip to Circus Circus where Bradyn got a wristband and off she went on a bunch of rides.  I think this was the El Loco roller coaster. 


I for sure would have puked on Inverter.


Last photo on the strip before heading back to our hotel for the night.  It was a VERY busy day.


On Monday, we drove out to Red Rock Canyon, which was only about 20 minutes from our hotel.  We had planned to visit the Valley of Fire but it was a one-hour drive and I wasn't all that sure Bradyn was going to be too keen about hiking after our long day on Sunday. (turned out to be a good call on my part)  She did love the rock turtle in the visitor centre.


We got to Red Rock Canyon at about 10:30 am.  When I asked a guide where we would find the 'children's discovery loop' hike, she was very hesitant.  "Did you see the sign?"  I asked "what sign?" and she pointed to the one behind her that said "Hiking and climbing not recommended after 10 am due to the heat".  I pointed out that the Children's discovery loop was less than a mile and it was the CHILDREN's hike.  "Do you have any water with you?"  Um, yes, we have a big bottle each and some Gatorade.  "Do you have sunscreen on?"  Yes ma'am, we all have sunscreen on.  "OK then, you're prepared.  Many people aren't."  LOL  The 10 mile drive was absolutely lovely and ew stopped at a few places along the way to enjoy the views.





On Tuesday, we explored the few hotels at the south end of the strip.  Bradyn loved the Luxor.




Family selfie outside of Stupididiotic in a giant hand chair.


Mama-daughter selfie while out and about on Wednesday.


What kid doesn't love a trip to the candy store?




Back at the hotel for a swim.  



Bradyn had this crazy little dance she did every time she got in the elevator and there was nobody else with us.  She would even make us wait for the next elevator if there was going to be someone with us.  Yes, she is a nut.


On Wednesday, our last night in Vegas, Bradyn had the opportunity to join a jiu-jitsu class at Syndicate MMA.  I'm pretty sure Kevin was more excited than Bradyn, but she seemed to have a lot of fun. 



Serena "The Southpaw Outlaw" Dejesus, Tuff-N-Uff Champion.


Coach Rick Davis, former UFC fighter.


All in all, we had a wonderful week in Vegas. 
I just hope I get my all-inclusive Mexican getaway soon.  :-)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home