My Special Little Girl
I'm having one of my sentimental, reflective moments... One week ago today, Bradyn and I decided that we were finished with breast feeding. We were at that point in our bedtime routine when she's sitting on my lap in Great Grandma's rocking chair and she has her nightly (and only remaining, daily) feeding. When I pulled up my shirt for her, she looked at me, then looked up into my eyes with those big baby blues, but made no motions to nurse. I decided to ask 'All done?'. Her eyes said it all. She then looked away and leaned forward to reach for a book. The next day I went on antibiotics for my strep throat, so although I haven't offered since, she hasn't asked. It was just a quiet, unplanned decision that we made together.
We've both moved on, but there's a part of me that's very sad. I know I'm still her Mommy, but that special bond is what made me unique from any other person in her life. Now anyone can put her to bed, and theoretically, anybody could be her Mommy. I know we'll find other things to do that will be our own special bond, but there's just nothing in the world like the special quiet time you share with your child while breastfeeding.
Our little baby girl is growing up so fast. She's talking, running all over, taking care of her own baby doll, and continuing to amaze us every day. 16 1/2 months old. I just can't believe it. It seems it was only yesterday that we were holding on to a tiny swaddled bundle that we really weren't sure what we were going to do with. Funny how you figure it out so quickly and then, just a quickly, can't imagine what you would do without her.

4 Comments:
What a lovely post...except, NO, theoretically NO ONE else can be her mommy! How can you say that Brenda!?
Breast-feeding does not a mommy make. You are her one and only and yes, daddy or a babysitter can put her to bed. But if she wakes up at 2am, YOU are - hands down - the one she wants to hug.
I know how hard it is to give up that lovely time with your baby. It's even harder when your baby so nonchalantly gives up feeding while you could go on longer, if she wanted. It just reminds us that they are growing into big girls with minds of their own.
On the other hand, it does free you up at night! And it gives daddy a chance to have some bedtime cuddles (not that I ever let Brian put K to bed - it's still our special time).
Hang in there.
I hear you Char. Kevin has told me at least a dozen times that nobody else could be Bradyn's mommy (and that he knows she likes me best). I guess I was just feeling badly that the one thing only I could do for her has ended. You are right though... at least I still have the magic hugs and nobody will ever be able to take that away.
Ah! If only time could stand still.
Lovely photo.
Can't wait to see you guys!
Love, Molly
It is a bit of a heartbreaker when you know you've finished breastfeeding, but there are so many other things only the two of you can share! I know it's harder on us than them when it's over, but they still look to you for so much!
Post a Comment
<< Home